Thursday, July 19, 2012

Peveril Publishing.... a new home for Hammer books

I know, I know, I do believe that books about Hammer have probably reached saturation level.

Whereas I was previously excited about *any* new publication that came along it is safe to say now that with all the (mainly: worthwhile) publications that have flooded the market in the last 10 or 15 years, I won't be rushing out anymore to buy yet another history of Hammer or yet another coffee table photo book.

Sometimes enough is enough and less is more. And there are very few Hammer related topics that I still need to see covered in book form.

But there still *are* some books I am getting excited about.

Case in point: Wayne Kinsey's new Hammer Films On Location book as I love travelling probably as much if not more as I love movies and I enjoy nothing more than combining those two main passions in life.

So when I first heard about his latest project I was giddy with excitement just to see my hopes shattered when it became apparent that his previous publisher saw little opportunity in getting this work published in the current climate.

For a while it looked as if we may never be able to read the fruit of Wayne's in-depth research but he has now set up his own publishing venture, Peveril Publishing, that will make this book available for order.

And apparently this will be the *only* place where you can order this. Don't expect this on Amazon or any other online market place anytime soon.

Imagine my surprise, however, when I just discovered that his will not be the only publication planned in the near future and that he indeed has a number of Peter Cushing art books planned: Peter Cushing’s Book of Bird Drawings, The Peter Cushing Scrapbook and Boys will be Bois.

Consider me agog with excitement.

Now off to order the Locations book....


2 comments:

Wes said...

Many thanks for posting this Holger, it might have otherwise slipped below my radar. I think I'll grab me a copy plus the DVD-Rom... Very true what you say about the amount of Hammer books out there (and probably yet to come) but by and large the quality has been very high - I think it's a case of great writers inspired by great films...

Holger Haase said...

You are of course right: The quality of Hammer books was indeed quite high so far. But there's only so much that can be said about the subject. Must admit I only liked (but didn't love) Marcus Hearn's last book (that I failed to write up). If it's the only Hammer book of its kind on your shelves, it's perfectly fine, but if you already have similar ones you'll start getting a feeling of Deja Fu especially as those books also compete with the Internet.

Mind you, I *will* still buy all the Bruce Hallenbeck books. And am curious about a project planned to cover the Exclusive Years.... but I really don't think I'll buy each and every book anymore.