Sunday, July 8, 2007

Kerwin Mathews R.I.P.

I heard first of all through the Yahoo Group Isle of the Dead from the passing away of Kerwin Mathews.

Mathews was first and foremost known as one of cinema’s most favourite Sinbads in Ray Harryhausen’s The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. He subsequently starred in other Fantasy Movies such as The 3 Worlds of Gulliver and Jack the Giant Killer, but also acted in two Hammer productions: Pirates of Blood River and Maniac. On the Continent (the European one that is) he appeared in a number of Eurotrash productions and was one of a number of actors to appear as OSS 117 in a series of Eurospy thrillers ripping off the Bond format.

Mathews was born on January 08, 1926 in Seattle and initially trained as a teacher before becoming matinee movie idol. Similar to Rock Hudson or George Nader he was an incredibly handsome actor who had to hide his homosexuality in the 1950s by being shown next to some of the cinema’s most gorgeous female beauties of the time.

He leaves behind his partner of 46 years, Tom Nicoll.

1 comment:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I was sad to hear of the passing of Kerwin Matthews. I always loved all those movies he made. I enjoyed them as a boy and still enjoy them now as an adult. I recently watched "Jack and the Giant Killer" again. I still loved it.